Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In Rainbows - Radiohead (2007)

In Rainbows - Radiohead (2007) In three words: Exhilarating, Atmospheric, Complex.
For the first album review, I thought that my favourite band's latest album would be suitable. Sorry if I don't use the right terms, this the first time I've tried this. Radiohead released their seventh studio album, through digital download on their website. They also allowed listeners to pay whatever price they wanted for the album, which created controversy and publicity for the band. Pervious albums like Ok Computer and Kid A were conceptual and took the listener on a journey. So I expected In Rainbows to be the same. However, after listening to the record once, it seemed as if there was no logical flow; just an album of different songs. But after further listening, this was quite true.
The first track, 15 Step, is a mix of skitter electronics, slinky drum beats and hand claps. The song even takes unexpected turns into classical arrangements and children's vocals. The lyrics in chorus are "How come I end up where I started, how come I end up where I went wrong?" All together, it comes across as a chase song; someone pursuing another person through seduction. Then Bodysnachters begins with sonic guitar riffs and progresses into one of Radiohead's best rock songs, in my opinion. Quick drum snares and strangled riffs really grab your attention. Thom Yorke yelps, "I've not idea what you're talking about, I'm trapped in this body and can't get out." I believe this song is about escaping the boredom and sterility of a marriage or being trapped in a role that doesn't fit you. The fourth track, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, is very progressive and slowly builds up to a climax through repetitive drum beats and guitar arpeggios. Somehow, Radiohead actually creates an aquarium atmosphere. Yet the climax of rushing instruments conjures a feeling of urgency. I'd say it's the album's most ambiguous song, with lyrics like "I'd be crazy not to follow. Follow where you lead. Your eyes. They turn me." But my interpretation is that its another escapist song and also hints towards suicide.

Just like Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, House Of Cards creates a surreal atmosphere. Thom's vocals are the best, they've ever been in this track and this is possibly my favourite song on In Rainbows. Tender guitar tunes lull us into and almost unconscious state, while Thom croons "I don't wanna be your friend, I just wanna be your lover." The second last song is Jigsaw Falling Into Place. The song begins with hypnotic acoustic guitars and Thom's alluring hums, which really draw the listener in. It then moves to a climax of swelling riffs and falsetto vocals. There are references to stalking and obsession through lyrics like "Before you run away from me, before you're lost between my notes." and "Jigsaw falling into place. Nothing to explain." I also think the song might be about a date or one night stand situation, gone wrong. In Rainbows concludes with a sombre and almost mourning song, Videotape. The track centres around a piano line and Thom's desolate vocals. I understand the song as a reflection on what has happened and having saying goodbye to it. - "When I'm at the pearly gates, this will be on my videotape." I believe there is also references to the end of a relationship and leaving a record of it behind; "You are my centre when I spin away." and "This is my way of saying goodbye because I can't do it face to face." Then broken drum beats enter to signify a video reel and Thom's voice fades away. This ultimately leaves listeners with a sense of acceptance for what is finished.
Returning to the Idea of a conceptual album, I believe In Rainbows to be an de
piction of a complex love relationship. It begins with chase and seduction, and then moves to uncertainty. It slowly progresses through and tackles all the different stages in a relationship; lust, ecstasy, disbelief, rejection, compromise, dependence, obsession and death of a relationship. I love and truly admire how Radiohead can create different worlds within their albums, through musical genius and experimentation and creative lyrics. This is an excellent album.

No comments: